ICIMOD is a regional knowledge development and learning centre serving the eight regional member countries of the Hindu Kush-Himalayas (HKH) – Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, India, Myanmar, Nepal, and Pakistan. ICIMOD is working to develop an economically and environmentally sound mountain ecosystem to improve the living standards of mountain populations – now, and for the future. In line with its current Strategic Framework, ICIMOD is strengthening its capacity to develop new approaches to meet the growing challenges in the region posed by climate change and globalisation.
Livelihoods is one of ICIMOD’s four strategic Thematic Areas. It focuses on promoting diversified and sustainable livelihood options in the HKH Region with an emphasis on livelihood development and policy issues in relation with poverty and vulnerability in mountain areas. Topics addressed include high-value mountain products and services and development of their value chains; the opportunities and challenges of labour migration; and sustainable mountain tourism. This Thematic Area also provides expertise in issues of economic analysis, governance, gender, and inclusive development. To lead ICIMOD’s Livelihoods Thematic Area in the HKH region we are currently seeking to recruit a
Theme Leader, Livelihoods
Summary of responsibilities:
- Intellectual leadership and innovation: Provide intellectual leadership on identified research priorities; mentor team members in conducting research; propose and manage innovative research on emerging issues.
- Human resource management: Responsibility for managing human resources, including team development and capacity building activities, allocation of budgets and human resources to the programmes, performance management of staff in the Thematic Area.
- Communication, collaboration, and partnership development: Establish and maintain partnerships with stakeholders in the region and beyond. Contribute to the capacity building of partners through the organization of workshops, training, and collaborative research.
- Fundraising and resource mobilization
- Advocate transdisciplinary cooperation and teamwork within ICIMOD
Minimum Qualifications and Skills
- Ph.D. in socioeconomic sciences and/or related livelihood development field;
- 10 years of work experience in the field of sustainable livelihoods or socioeconomics;
- An additional 5 years of experience in a leadership or management role;
- Extensive experience in relevant applied research, track record of peer-reviewed publications;
- Excellent management/leadership skill and experience with multidisciplinary research teams;
- Experience in strategic programme planning, monitoring, evaluation, and impact assessment
- Extensive experience and skills in preparing project proposals and progress reports
- Networking and stakeholder management skills as well as experience in fundraising
- Excellent spoken communication and writing skills in English
Remuneration: Salaries and benefits of ICIMOD are competitive compared to other regional organisations; remuneration is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Duration: An initial 3 years, with opportunities for continuation. Starting date is as early as possible, preferably before 1 October 2012.
Qualified and eligible women candidates and those from disadvantaged backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply. ICIMOD implements a gender fair policy and is supportive of working women.
For more information on ICIMOD & about the position, please visit to our website www.icimod.org. Applicants are requested to apply before 29 July 2012 through ICIMOD’s Online Application System at www.icimod.org/vacancies. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.