Mensura means “measure” in Latin word. Forest Mensuration is that branch of forestry which deals with the determination of dimensions (i.e. diameter,height, volume), form, age and increment of single trees, stands or whole woods, either standing or after felling.
- It includes measurements of felled and standing trees, sawn wood and round logs and various other products i.e. bamboos, charcoal, bark, fruits.
- It concerns with linear, area, volume and weight (biomass) measurements.
- Basis for sale
- Basis of management
- Measurement for research
- Measurement for planning
- Provides foundations of measurement principles applicable to any forest measurement problems
- Application of statistical theory and use of computer for data processing
- Forecast of future yields
- Measurement not only standing trees but also felled timber and their conversion