Nepalese Federation of Forest Resource User Group (NEFUG) Nepalese Federation of Forest Resource User Group (NEFUG) is a national representative body of Community Forest User Groups (CFUG), Buffer zone forest, Leasehold forest and other forms of forest users of the country. It is a federation with status of an autonomous, independent, non-ethnic, non-political, non-governmental and non-profit making organization. NEFUG has district offices (NEFUG-District Committee office) in seventy four (74) districts. At the operational level, NEFUG promotes different programme through its district offices. It was established on 2058 BS (2001 AD). NEFUG is probably a largest network of forestry sector and civil society in Nepal.
Promotion of sustainable forestry development relies on community involvement in all phases of planning, designing, implementation and evaluation. The practice of centralized bureaucratic mechanism mostly neglects the actual need of the community. It neither brings poverty level down nor persuades sustainable activities. Thus in lieu with this situation, to promote the forestry development process by empowering the local community, an organization named NEFUG has been established. The main objective of NEFUG is to uplift the life of poor and underprivileged people by conceptualizing, formulizing and facilitating implementation of different models of forestry entities including community forestry, buffer zone, and lease hold forestry among others. NEFUG focuses on the capacity build up and ownership of development in CF process. Its’ major working area are policy advocacy at the centre where as forestry development activities in the district level.
NEFUG aims to develop forest resources with consensus with participation of various sector, classes and levels for improving the standard of living of user comprising of disadvantaged, unprivileged, scheduled class, ethnic minorities, with equal participation of men and women in particular for mitigating environment pollution and safe-guarding bio-diversity. The main task of this organization is to develop community feelings, collective responsibility and self-reliance for sustainable development by giving continuity to the programme in a disciplined way with direct involvement and participation of communities and mutual consciousness.
- Equal involvement of the concerned user is decision-making process. Mutual assistance among the forest resource management groups and committees approved by the HMG's subordinate offices enhances courtesy with mutual exchange of experience among the groups and establishing group-center interrelations.
- Enhance public awareness through campaign on all types of forestry development programmes on utilization in a balanced, disciplined, Equitable and systematic process.
- Encourage the groups for proper sharing and utilization of resource and means obtained from forest resources for uplifting the socioeconomic condition of the communities deprived of any development opportunities.
- Assist the groups to conduct collective development along with other activities while giving continuity to the forest development works accordingly to the user's capability and needs.
- Pinpoint the weakness in HMG's rules and regulations and transparency in flow of information for discussion among the user groups and sighting the suggestions of discussion to the government.
- Awareness on the importance of various natural resources and biodiversity which are in the verge of extinction due to different reasons and justification of their protection and regulation through realization among the groups.
- Aware the users on global environmental problems and its negative effects on daily-life, harmonize with HMG of developing alternative energy sources thereby improving the standard of living of the groups. Discussion of human resource development policies and programmes among the groups and establishment in the forestry sector.