I am interested in Biodiversity conservation, NTFPs, Organic farming and organic certification, Ethnobotany, Traditional knowledge, Community based conservation and sustainable utilization of medicinal plants, Medicinal plant trade, Plant Systematics and Taxonomy, Conservation genetics, DNA barcoding of high valued Himalayan plants
MSc-Botany (2000) - The Tribhuvan University, Nepal
MSc-Biodiversity conservation (2008) - The Edinburgh University, UK
PhD- Conservation genetics (2012) - Chinese Academy of Sciences, Kunming Institute of Botany, Kunming China
Community based biodiversity conservation
DNA barcoding of plants
Uprety, Y. and Poudel, R.C. 2010. Medicinal Plants of Nepal: An Analysis of Use, Trade and Conservation Aspects in the Rasuwa District. LAP Lambert Academic Publishing, Germany.
Articles in Peer-reviewed Journals
- Poudel, R.C., Möller, M., Liu, J., Baral, S.R., Gao, L.M., and Li, D.Z. 2013. Low genetic diversity and high inbreeding of the endangered yews in central Himalaya: Implication for conservation of their highly fragmented populations. Journal of Diversity and Distributions (Under review)
- Poudel, R.C., Möller, M., Li, D.Z., Shah, A. and Gao, L.M. 2013. Genetic diversity, demographical history and conservation aspects of the endangered yew tree Taxus contorta (Syn. Taxus fauna) in Pakistan. Journal of Tree Genetics and Genomics (Under review)
- Liu, J., Möller, Provan, J, Gao, L.M., Poudel, R.C., and Li, D.Z. 2013. Geological and ecological factors drive cryptic speciation of yews in a biodiversity hotspot. New Phytologist. 199 (4): 1093-1108.
- Poudel, R.C., Möller, M., Gao, L.M., Baral, S.R., Liu, J. and Li, D.Z. 2013. Yews (Taxus) along the Himalayas: Exploring ethnopharmacological relevance among the communities of Mongols and Caucasians origin. Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 147: 190-203.
- Poudel R.C., Möller M, Gao LM, Ahrends A, Baral SR, Liu J, Thomas P, Li DZ (2012) Using morphological, molecular and climatic data to delimitate yews along the Hindu Kush-Himalaya and adjacent regions. PLoS ONE 7:e46873
- Uprety, Y., Poudel, R.C., Shrestha, K.K., Rajbhandary, S., Tiwari, N.N., Shrestha, U.B. and Asselin, H. 2012. Diversity of use and local knowledge of wild edible plant resources in Nepal. Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine, 8:16.
- Yang, Li, Gao, L.M., Poudel, R.C., and Forrest, A 2011. High universality of matK primers for barcoding gymnosperms. Journal of Systematics and Evolution 49 (3): 169-175.
- Uprety, Y., Poudel, R.C., Asselin, H., Boon, E.K. and Shrestha, K.K. 2011. Stakeholder perspectives on use, trade, and conservation of medicinal plants in the Rasuwa District of Central Nepal. Journal of Mountain Science, 8(1): 75-86.
- Uprety, Y., Poudel, R.C., Asselin, H. and Boon, E. 2011. Plant biodiversity and ethnobotany inside the projected impact area of the Upper Seti Hydropower Project, Western Nepal. Environment, Development and Sustainability, 13(3): 463-492.
- Uprety, Y., Boon, E.K., Poudel, R.C., Shrestha, K.K., Rajbhandary, S., Ahenken, A. and Tiwari, N.N. 2010. Non-timber forest products in Bardiya district of Nepal: Indigenous use, trade and conservation. Journal of Human Ecology, 30(3): 143-158.
- Y Uprety, E Boon, RC Poudel. 2008. Traditional use of plant resources by bankariya ethnic group in Makawanpur district, central Nepal. GRIN Verlag
- Poudel, R.C. and Uprety, Y. 2004. Ethnobotanical and NTFP survey in Nuwakot district, Nepal. Botanica Orientalis, 4: 66-71.
- Poudel, R.C. and Shrestha, K.K. 2007. Community based conservation and sustainable utilization of potential medicinal plants in Rasuwa, Nepal Himalaya. An ESON-Allachy Project, Plantlife International, UK
- Poudel R.C. and Uprety, Y. 2006. Floristic Study, Vegetation Analysis and Ethnobotany of Upper Seti Storage Hydroelectric Project Area (Damauli to Bhimad), West Nepal. A project report submitted to the Nepal Environmental and Scientific Services (P) Ltd. Kathmandu.
- Poudel, R.C. 2005. Feasibility study of Organic Farming of medicinal and aromatic plants in Banke, Bardiya, Surkhet and Kailali. A project report submitted to BDS-MAPs/IDE Nepal.
- Uprety, Y. and Poudel, R.C. 2004. Vertical Scaling-up Methodology for Domestication of 'Chiraito' in Nepal. Project Report submitted to HARP, Kathmandu.
- Shrestha, K.K., Tiwari, N.N. Rajbhandary, S., Poudel R.C and Uprety, Y. 2004. Ethnobotany in Nepal: Review and Perspectives. Project Report submitted to WWF Nepal Program, Kathmandu.
- Tiwari, N.N., Poudel, R.C. and Uprety, Y. 2004. Study on Domestic Market of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants (MAPs) in Kathmandu Valley. Project Report submitted to Winrock International, BDS/MaPS, Kathmandu.
- Shrestha K.K., Tiwari, N.N. Rajbhandary, S., Shrestha, S., Uprety, Y. and Poudel R.C. 2003. Non-Timber Forest Products (NTFPs) in the Critical Bottlenecks and Corridors of Terai Arc Landscape-Nepal: Documentation, Utilization, Trade and People's livelihood. Project Report submitted to WWF Nepal Program, Kathmandu.
- Shrestha K.K., Rajbhandary, S., Tiwari, N.N., Poudel R.C. and Uprety, Y. 2003. Action Plan for the Management of Non-Timber Forest Products (NTFPs) in the Critical Bottlenecks and Corridors of Terai Arc Landscape (TAL)-Nepal. Project Report submitted to WWF Nepal Program, Kathmandu.